Monday, July 13, 2020

Christy Serra Gandara-Teacher Contributor on Amped Up Learning

So let me tell you a little bit more about Christy. Christy is a California teacher with 19 years of experience. She has taught in Catholic and public schools. She decided to home-school her children. Got to love her! That is a huge amount of work to raise your children and teach them! During this time, she became a curriculum coach and consultant for homeschool families. She returned to the classroom once she was done educating her own children. Christy has spent her teaching years mainly with 3rd grade through 5th grade.

I asked Christy why she became a teacher. You will enjoy reading her response.

“One afternoon, when I arrived to volunteer to teach for our Church’s 
after school religion classes, the Nun that ran them, met me in the parking lot with a big box of teaching books, worksheets, etc. 

She said she knew I wanted to be a teacher and I should have these for when I was ready. (At the time, I was in high school and dreaming of becoming a lawyer.) I had never said anything to this woman about becoming a teacher – but I wasn’t about to argue with a Nun! So, I politely took the box. I guess it was God’s way of planting the seed because I did change course along the way and have no regrets.”

Well, I'm glad she didn't become a lawyer! She was meant to be a teacher! Just take a look at this product she has made, Oreo Cookie Stacking Challenge. A friend of mine, 3rd-grade teacher,  bought this teacher resource from Christy's store, Homeschool Holiday. Anyway, I got a sneak-peak at it and I'm going to tell you about it. 

It is very well organized! It is a project the students can do independently. There are task cards that tell the students what their jobs are in performing the challenge. There are graphic organizers so that students can make predictions, record the results, and analyze the data. This packet includes anchor charts that teachers can display for students to guide them with the mode, mean, median, and range. You will love the many tools that have been included in this packet for both the teacher and the student!


I have more to share about this Teacher-Contributor. Soon . . . very soon!

Froggy About Teaching



No comments:

Post a Comment