Monday, September 28, 2020

Hispanic Heritage Month 3

 

I was really blessed to be able to spend meaningful time with grandma. My sister Mary and I would spend time in the summer at my grandparent's house. After lunch, Grandma Tomasa would make "cafe a la olla" and we would sit at her feet. This was a magical time when she told her childhood stories.


There are so many culturally significant storybooks that you can read to or provide as reading material for your students. I am going to share some with you and I'll provide the link to those books on Amazon.

Carlos and the Squash Plant - I love this book! I used it every year in the Fall with my students. This story takes place in the mountains of Northern New Mexico. It is written by Jan Romero Stevens and is written in English and Spanish. There is a recipe at the end of the story that my students and I would cook up and eat!



Too Many Tamales - This is another book we would study in my classroom as it got closer to Christmas, the traditional time for making tamales. It is also a delightful story written in English and Spanish by Gary Soto and Ed Martinez.



Tortillitas Para Mama - This is another one of my favorite books! It is full of culturally traditional nursery rhymes. It is also bilingual.





Turning Pages - a Bibliography written by Sonia Sotomayor. What a great role model to read about!



Waiting for the Biblioburro by Monica Brown, a wonderful story about how the children in the village got their books delivered by a special creature. It is also bilingual.



We all have our own stories to share about our own culture. What a wonderful way to connect with your students.

Wishing you all good things!









No comments:

Post a Comment